From the basketball courts of Northern Ireland to the C-suites of tech giants, Tony McGarahan just can’t stop coaching!
After a decade at Google, Tony set up his own training and people development company, People Playbook. Calling on experience from Sweden to Singapore, Tony’s honed his skills worldwide and with a huge range of groups.
In that time, he’s found some common truths and universal experiences. He shares them in this episode — dribbling between basketball and facilitation, coaching and learning design, and more.
Find out about:
- What Tony learned from a decade in Google’s People operations
- Why he set out to create People Playbook at the onset of the pandemic and how he grew the business
- How his qualification as a basketball coach has helped him grow as a facilitator and coach
- What facilitators can learn about sustainable performance and why financial incentives are never enough
- Why authenticity and humility are so important — for modelling to the group and as a principle of practice
- How to facilitate in the margins to help a successful, effective group continue developing
Don’t miss the next episode: subscribe to the show with your favourite podcast player.
And download the free 1-page summary, so you can always have the key points of this episode to hand.
Put the episode's best takeaways into practice with Skillding. Visit skillding.com/workshop to begin your journey from learning to doing. Track your progress as you hone your new skills. Start now!
Watch the video recording of this episode on YouTube.
Connect to Tony:
Support the show:
Make a one-off donation and contribute to the ongoing costs of running the podcast.
Check out the podcast map to see the overview of all podcast episodes: https://workshops.work/podcast-map